Return to: SmartSimian Creator
Connections allow you to create direct relationships between any two posts, of any content type, or users.
While fields allow you to add information to content, and taxonomies allow you to categorize your content in various ways, connections can link all your content and users together.
- Articles connected to multiple Authors
- Multiple Reviews connected to Movies
- Cars connected to Brands
- Locations connected to Events
- Recipes connected to Ingredients
- Conferences connected to Sessions, which are connected to Presenters
- Leagues connected to Teams, which are connected to Players
In the documentation that follows, two terms will be used often:
- A connection refers to a single instance of one post or user connected to another post or user
- A connection type refers to a certain kind of connection — usually two specific content types related to each other for a specific reason. Each example listed above could be a connection type.
SmartSimian allows you to set up connection types, which in turn allow you to create connections. For example, given three content types — Leagues, Teams, and Players — you would create one connection type between Leagues and Teams, and one between Teams and Players.
Connection types are controlled via the “Connections” item in the Creator menu of the dashboard. Through there, you can reach screens that enable you to view all connection types, edit a connection type, or add a new connection type. You can also set up connection types when creating fields.